Welcome to my blog! Please feel free to read and comment. It's not just an online journal, it's a way to keep my friends updated on what's going on in my world!

Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Vets & My Weekend...


I feel so bad that I let Veteran's Day go by without saying anything. So, I definitely need to catch up. Sometimes I think my blog is just me apologizing for not posting. Anyhoo...

For those of you that don't know, I work at the Arizona State Veteran's Home a long term care center (aka Nursing Home) for Veterans and their spouses (or surviving spouses). I have the privilege of maintaining Human Resources for the Department of Nursing, whose responsibility is to provide daily care to these Heroes. We have Veterans that served in World War II, Korea and Vietnam. We have ladies that have outlived their husbands that served in these wars, living out their last days in our home. (It's kind of interesting that staff here call death the "celestial journey." I've always found that interesting, a little morbid, but interesting). Every morning, at 9:00a.m. the Pledge of Allegiance is broadcast over the intercom. It is followed by a moment of silence. Although I'm teased that the only reason we have this is because it is a Veteran's Home, I'm proud that my morning still begins with the Pledge, just like in school. So, to say the least, I have Veterans always on my mind :)

On Friday, we had a Veteran's Day Celebration. Our Agency Director, Brigadier General Maxon spoke and bagpipes played and we honored all the Veterans living here at the home. But, the best part for me was when my friend and I noticed the resident's were getting hot. We saw that they had no water, so she ran and got water pitchers and cups and we went out and served the Veterans water. This was very special to me. My friend turned to me and said something about others not thinking, and I told her "When ye are in the service of your fellow beings ye are only in the service of your God" (Mosiah 2:17) and that is why she always thinks of others because she wants to serve her Heavenly Father. I think that may have touched her. (Most likely she was trying to figure out where that quote was in the bible :) ) But, I do have to say that I was touched by that act of service that we did for the Veterans. It was small, but they were thankful. I left work that day in a wonderful mood.

So, on a final note about Veterans....Thank you Dad! Also, thank you all those who served, those who are serving and those who will serve for keeping my family safe!

So, Saturday I took Joey to the Faith in God activity at the Stake center, cleaned up and then, yup, started a little scrap booking. I got a few things done then I started to feel lousy. I knew my cold was coming on and it hit me hard Saturday night! I was sick all Sunday, with hardly any voice. The baby felt yucky too, she was really fussy. So, we had a drugged Sunday (she just had baby Tylenol and I had some yucky tasting syrup) of sleeping and feeling guilty for missing church. I think my whole house was under the weather, everyone just laying around all day. By Monday afternoon I was feeling a little better and by Monday night I had to get out of the house! I made a quick run to Target for some items and a quick stop at Barnes and Noble for a couple books. I have to say, and this is weird, but I only go into Barnes and Noble with a full bladder. I do that so I hurry with a selection and get out. Otherwise, I'd stay there forever and have to pay a bazillion dollars for all of the books I want! I do love watching my collection of books grow. My next project, book plates so when I lend them out, I hopefully get them back :) I'm strange, but I love to read books over and over again! (I'm noticing my extreme use of exclamation points in this post, I had to go back and take some out...wow)

On to another week.....next week...Disneyland! (ah, another exclamation point)

1 comment:

Christine said...

Ooooooooohhhhhhhh Disneyland!!!!!!! My favorite place on the entire planet. I'm so jealous.