Welcome to my blog! Please feel free to read and comment. It's not just an online journal, it's a way to keep my friends updated on what's going on in my world!

Monday, October 1, 2007

Sophie is 1!

Wow, what a weekend! Saturday was a special day because it was Sophie's 1st birthday. It was also a psycho busy day. Joey had Cub Scout day camp in the morning, Abby had a birthday party and then Joey had a birthday party to go to. We ended up the hectic day with the "Joint" birthday party at my brother in law's house.

Here's the run down....

First, my BIL offered to host this joint adventure. In fact, insisted that we do it and that it would be his pleasure. That's when he showed up at our door requesting to be provided with $120 to sponsor the buying of meat for the party. Apparently we had to have an entire cow or other large animal. James gave him $80 *scream* much to my BIL's shock. I thought he was renting a bouncy house. No, he needed additional funds to rent tables. *Sigh* how many people was he expecting? An entire cow and rented tables? So, the day arrives and James receives multiple calls requesting forks, spoons, plates, cups and candy for the pinatas. Mind you, HIS WIFE WORKS AT WAL-MART AND RECEIVES A DISCOUNT!!!! Hello, aren't they cheaper for you? So, we finally arrive after picking up the much desired plastic products. There is no one there that we know! In fact the whole night there was only 4 total family members (besides my BIL, SIL and kids). So, we provided money for a cow to feed complete strangers. And, not that she needs anything and it's really not what counts, but my daughter didn't receive one stinking gift! Not even from my BIL....nothing, or nada as that side would say. So, basically we gave him money to have his kids birthdays. NEVER AGAIN!!!! All I had to look forward to was her real party on Sunday.

I knew my mom was going to have a wonderful party for her, and it was. She put up pink streamers and a 1st birthday table cloth. She had a beautiful cake and my brother and his future bride bought her a mini cake from Wal-mart for Sophie to ceremoniously tear apart. Our great friends Dennyse, Auggie and Chris were there and we ate pizza. My Memere (grandma) was there and her husband Bob. Sophie opened up all of her presents (which means I did) and was instantly drawn to a pretend cell phone my mom bought her. She screamed when we tried to give her something else and screamed when her Papa took it from her just to remove it from the box so she could play with it. She sat on the table on her table cloth to eat her cake...(pictures coming soon!) and did well for awhile until she had a look on her face that Auggie described as the "Mom, I don't feel so good" look. We gave her a bath and put on her new jammies and she played with her new toys (and boxes) until it was time to go. She fell asleep in the car on the way home and was sound asleep for the rest of the night. I couldn't get her to wake up this morning, I think it was a sugar-hangover!

That party completely wiped out the horrid feelings my BIL's party brought on. Sophie is such a special girl and I can't believe it's been a year already. She goes to a doctor's appointment on Wednesday (9:50, Amie, she'll be in right after) and it will be interesting to see where she's at on the charts, my tiny one!

And, now for the last amazing thing that happened this weekend. Those of you with kids have probably experienced the amazing "one time only word or phrase." It's when your kid says something when they are learning to talk but never repeats it and you almost question whether or not it actually happened. I had a witness for this one. Sophie and Abby were getting their hair washed on Sunday. Abby and I were singing "Happy Birthday" to Sophie. Sophie usually hums along or "ahh's" trying to sing. We stopped for a second and Sophie said, "Hap-py bird a." Abby was so shocked she looked at me with her mouth open. We got her to say Happy again, but birthday, alas, was never heard again.

1 comment:

Amie said...

OK, holy sucky party and holy idiotic brother in law (let's hope they don't read your blog) and I would have flat out refused that kind of money for a party. Rediculous!

And yay that Sophie's party went much better! I'm sure she loved her gifts!! SO COOL about the Happy Bird-A!!