Welcome to my blog! Please feel free to read and comment. It's not just an online journal, it's a way to keep my friends updated on what's going on in my world!

Friday, September 7, 2007

Ode to my performing side...

Thank goodness it's Friday! Woo-hoo! This week has been pretty tough. Many things are going on at work, lot's of stuff going on at home. Fun, fun, fun.

Last night I got to see Hairspray. Go fat girls! To bad we didn't do that show when I was in high school, I would totally have gotten that part. Now I'm old enough to play Tracey's mom. But, since it's funner with a guy, I would lose that part too. So, I've decided to write about roles I have played on stage and the dream roles I would love to play.

Roles I've played (with a little desired roles thrown in)
  • Mrs. Paroo, The Music Man-My first "real" part. My Irish brogue won them over and I was a 14 year old mother of two :)
  • Olga Katrina, You Can't Take It With You-I've played this role twice. Once in High School and once in college. Again, I guess it was the accent and my old lady body :)
  • Hello, Dolly-I had a crappy part in this, but boy do I want to play Dolly! The good thing is she is an older part so I could actually still play her. Whenever I go down stairs, I sing in my mind "it's so nice to be back home where I belong."
  • Dr. Strauss, Flowers For Algernon-I played a part that was written for a dude. I also had to wear Sally Jesse Raphael glasses. For those of you too young to know, she was a talk show host that had these big, red framed glasses.
  • Lady Thiang, The King and I-I loved this part. I sang "Something Wonderful" for my auditions for the Thespian Society Scholarship. I was a finalist, but lost to a girl that had money and didn't really need it. Irony. This was also the part when my voice really started to develop. I had spent the whole summer and fall before singing Barbra Streisand songs. I think the practice helped.
  • The Baker's Wife, Into the Woods-Darn my tonsils! I had them out and lost the part of the Witch. Someday it will be mine, oh yes, it will be mine.
  • Mabel, The Pajama Game-Always the heavy set side kick, *sigh* On a side note, I had to do a tap dance number in this show. If you don't know, I can't dance!
  • Arthur's Mother, Silhouettes Against the Storm-this was a Stake musical. In Peoria. I can't really remember my character's name. I had only one scene. For those of you that know Pioneer Stories, I sang a song based on the story of the little boy that went missing in the snow and his father went out to find him with the mother's red shawl. When he found the boy he was supposed to wave the red shawl in the air so they could see it in the snow. Such a pretty song! BTW, they found him....
  • Miss Tweed, Somethings Afoot-this one was fun. Again, an older lady, but a cute role. I died onstage. Cool.
  • Ensemble, The Christmas Schooner-my first community theatre show. Theater Works. I hadn't done a show in years! Since right before I got pregnant with Abby. I decided to try out for a musical. This is a cool show, they do it ever year now at Theater Works (ours was the 1st year) and it has kids parts in it too, a family affair. It's about how German families brought the 1st Christmas trees to America, it's based on a true story. I have a book that they based the show on. It's really interesting if anyone wants to borrow it.
  • Madame Ernestine Von Liebedich, Little Mary Sunshine-I really liked this show. I was Zoni nominate for this role. It also about killed me. I was pregnant with Sophie and was so nauseated I was miserable all the time. I also did Schooner right before this, two shows back to back, working full time, a mom and wife. Yeah, no wonder I have been ordered to take a break.

Roles I want to Play (Dream roles remember (some may be cheesy!), I may be too old, but they may do the show at the Senior Center and I'm in!)

  • Narrator, Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat-this role will one day be mine! I have the whole thing memorized. I'm still mad that they did it after I graduated.
  • The Witch-as mentioned above
  • Dolly Levi-as mentioned above
  • Elphaba, Wicked-duh, I think everyone wants to do this one
  • Maria, The Sound of Music
  • Carlotta, Phantom of the Opera
  • Queen Elizabeth-The Pirate Queen- I just love Queen Elizabeth and this new show has her in it! I have a book about this lady if anyone is curious
  • Tracey-Hairspray
  • Fanny Bryce, Funny Girl
  • Eva, Evita

Well that's all I can think of right now, but I'm sure there are many, many more!

1 comment:

Amie said...

Wow, ambitious, girly! What neat projects you've done in the past. I am so sad that my HS did not have a theatre program. I would have loved doing this too.

Get to auditioning!