Welcome to my blog! Please feel free to read and comment. It's not just an online journal, it's a way to keep my friends updated on what's going on in my world!

Wednesday, December 31, 2008

My last post as a 20 something...

At midnight tonight I leave my 20's and head towards the great adventures in my 30's. Woo-hoo. I know it's not that old, but it has made me stop and think how far I've come and where I'll be headed.

Well, I thought I'd include some facts about what was going on in 1979...enjoy, and Happy New Year!

Cost of Living 1979

Average Cost of new house $58,100.00
Average Income per year $17,500.00
Average Monthly Rent $280.00
Cost of a gallon of Gas 86 cents
Sony Walkman $200.00
Jox Trainers $14.99




What Events Happened in 1979


USSR Invades Afghanistan

Margaret Thatcher elected Prime minister in UK

Three Mile island Nuclear Accident after fire at reactor in Pennsylvania US

63 Americans are taken hostage in the American Embassy in Tehran



Technology


VisiCalc becomes the first spreadsheet program.


Sony introduces the Sony Walkman costing $200.00


Voyager I photo reveals Jupiter's rings


The European Space Agency launches Ariane 1



Inventions Invented by Inventors and Country ( or attributed to First Use )

Snowboard USA by Daniel E Chadwick
First Commercial Cellular Network NTT
The Sony Walkman Introduced Sony

Popular Culture 1979
YMCA sues the Village People for libel because of their song of the same name
Pink Floyd release the multi award winning concept album "The Wall" with the top selling single "Another Brick in the Wall"
The General Knowledge Quiz Game Trivial Pursuit is Launched
The First modern Bungee Jumping performed by a group from the Oxford University Dangerous Sports club jumped from the Clifton Suspension Bridge joining England and Wales



Popular Films

Superman The Movie
Every Which Way But Loose
Rocky II
Alien
The Amityville Horror
Star Trek: The Motion Picture
Moonraker
The Muppet Movie
The Deer Hunter
Kramer vs. Kramer


Popular Musicians

Bee Gees with " Love you Inside Out "
Rod Stewart
Gloria Gaynor with " I will Survive "
Blondie with " heart of Glass "
Michael Jackson
The Eagles
Commodores
Pink Floyd
The Police
Village People
Boomtown Rats


Popular TV

All My Children
Masterpiece Theatre
Old Grey Whistle Test
Are You Being Served? (UK)
Emmerdale Farm (UK)
M*A*S*H
The Price Is Right
The Waltons
Last of the Summer Wine (UK)
The Young and the Restless
Happy Days
Little House on the Prairie
Saturday Night Live
Charlie's Angels
Family Feud
Quincy, M.E.
The Muppet Show (UK)
The Love Boat
Three's Company
Dallas
Diff'rent Strokes
Mork and Mindy
Taxi

5 comments:

Amie said...

Too cool! great idea!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!

Stacy Householder said...

Happy recent birthday! :) That was fun reminiscing back in the 70's! It was very interesting too!!! WOW!

Love ya! :)

Anonymous said...

oh the good ole days !!!!!!!
love mom

Mallory Clan said...

Happy Birthday!! It was fun to read through all that! I'm just a few years ahead of ya and I can relate to all of those things. Seems like that Sony Walkman was a pretty hot item! I miss my walkman...ah the simpler times. ;-)

wittygal said...

Wow I didn't think 30 was old until I started to read some of those things. Good thing you look so darn young and beautiful!! Happy Birthday.