Welcome to my blog! Please feel free to read and comment. It's not just an online journal, it's a way to keep my friends updated on what's going on in my world!

Thursday, July 17, 2008

When you are torn...

So, yesterday I sang at the Variety Show here at my work. It's for the residents (remember I work in a Nursing Home) and for staff to just do skits or dance or sing or whatever. I sang "Evergreen" by Barbra Striesand since it's one I already know. I remembered all the words and everything LOL. When it was over the new Director of the agency I work for told me I did a good job and somehow everything twisted into them wanting me to perform at a Veteran's Fundraiser on Saturday. At a resturant.

Remember that old Saturday Night Live skit with the lounge singer.....

I was torn, I already had plans with my family on Saturday. I don't do performances like that. I don't have a repertoire I can just pull out of my...head...nor do I have the time to perfect it. I don't play and intrument (the kid they want me to sing w/ plays guitar and sings...literally think of a 17 year old Elvis, with the looks, the voice and even the southern accent, who is also the Director's son!). I would literally be doing karaoke. It's weird.

But, I can't help but feel bad about not doing it. Are they expecting me to? Am I ruining a chance to get in with the new director helping my career-a career I really don't want? I feel so, so I don't know. I've been so emotionally lately, that I can't help get teary just thinking about it. Yuck, I hate feeling this way.

So, should I feel bad turning them down? I did offer them my services in the future as long as I get some more planning. I just don't know. What do you think?

2 comments:

Amie said...

Well, it is kinda last minute on their part, and family trumps everything else. However, if you really want to do it, and if it's something with your family you can reschedule, I don't see anything wrong with getting to show off a little. Depends on how much you wanna do it!

Castle Family said...

Yeah, this is my first time through...took a little convincing cuz I don't read. But I'm lovin it!